Friday, July 3, 2015

Adventures in packaging a Reaver Titan for cross-country shipping!!

I finished the repair job on the Reaver Titan. Parts were challenging, but it was cool to see the beast come together again. The client's #1 concern was to have the model arrive safely and securely. I pinned everything I could with 1/16" solid rods and JB Weld, so the resin around the joint will break before the bond does.






The plan for shipping was to stuff the negative space between the legs and between the weapon arms and torso with bubble wrap and then secure the top carapace and head with Saran Wrap before bubble wrapping over them and securing them with tape. 



More bubble wrap.  This time vertically and then secured by wrapping tape around everything for a solid brick of bubble wrap. 


Then, like little babushka nesting dolls, it's going in a box within a box, surrounded by packing peanuts. 


I think I bought enough packing peanuts (made from corn, not styrofoam, of course).




The empty space was densely packed with more packing peanuts, and voila!!!


Ready to go! Pretty sure I could sit on it and not worry (not that I'm going to test that theory!). 






No comments:

Post a Comment